Weslee is Freaking Out

Weslee started asking questions yesterday about the surgery.  Can he have a scar in the shape of a lightening bolt (after his fave movie, BOLT), (answer from surgeon, not really).  Will it hurt. Will his brain feel the electrodes on it. And so on.

Because he's expected to have a speech defect after the 2nd surgery, I bought some learning sign language DVDs and flashcards for us to learn ASL during the week between the first and second surgery. He's not thrilled, but I reminded him that people are donating money and with some of it, we'll buy him a really cool IPAD with a really cool program where he'll just touch the screen and it'll talk for him.  AND use sign language.

(He's also obsessed with writing a screenplay and making a movie based on The Great Dog Robbery .. also known as 101 Dalmatians ... so I got him a couple of books for the hospital on script writing.)

Also reminded him (I had to) he might have other problems, like walking, memories, change of personality. He's really hating that there's a slight possibility that he'll lose his memories. One of his autistic traits is that he files away memories by year and it's really important to him that he keep those. He's hoping there's no change in his personality, but I explained that no matter what, I'll love him and we'll work through it all.

He's so stresssed that he's barely sleeping or eating.  The only thing he's looking forward to is watching the Disney channel at the hospital, and all of these letters (and packages!) that are coming to him.  Keep them coming!
Pic taken the summer after our wedding.
Weslee on the float, Doug in front.


A BIG thanks to you all ... you wonderful people are keeping Weslee from completely falling apart.

I have to note here that I wish the news story had at least mentioned that our biggest support is my husband, Doug. We've been married just over 5 years, and Weslee adores him. Thank you, dear hubby. I'm not sure how strong I would have been if I'd had to do this alone.


Two videos featuring Weslee:
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWLnFBXPwT0
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v19GF17O2ws

No comments: